What is Stigma?
- A set of negative and often unfair beliefs that a society has about something.
- It can cause us to hide our thoughts and emotions out of fear that others might not understand.
What is Mental Illness?
- A medical condition disrupting a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
- It is very real and very common. One in four people will be affected by mental illness in their lifetime.
- It is treatable. Recovery is possible with medication, therapy, diet, exercise and support.
What Mental Illness is Not?
- It is not Imaginary. It is not something to ‘get over’. It cannot be willed away.
- It is not a character flaw. It is not a weakness.